EXCEL Day Program for Deaf+ Adults
Expressive Communication and Empowerment Learning
A program for Deaf+ adults at our Sacramento center that provides ongoing opportunities for participants to connect with their peers, learn new skills, and explore their community.
When given access to language and communication, Deaf+ adults can freely express themselves and become empowered towards independence and valued as members of their community.
Deaf+ refers to individuals receiving Regional Center services who are deaf, hard of hearing, and deafblind.
Our program uses American Sign Language (ASL).
With a 1:4 staff to participant ratio, EXCEL provides individuals with support, instruction, and community outings that promote independence and life skills through hands-on learning
SERVICES WE OFFER
- American Sign Language (ASL)
- Gestures, body language, facial expression
- Picture tools, when needed.
- Creative arts to express through visual, tactile and drama skills.
- Basic computer skills
- Email and text messaging
- Video Relay Service (VRS) for phone calls
- Basic self-care skills; safety, health, exercise.
- Address medical needs.
- Sex education, if needed.
- Basic math; telling time, etc.
- Basic reading/writing skills.
- Participate in volunteer work.
- Personal Rights
- Self-Determination skills
- Accessing resources
- Community outings for social and safety skills.
- To identify community resources
Days and Hours of Operation
Monday-Thursday from 9:00AM – 3:00PM
Friday from 9:00AM – 12:30PM
We are open year-round except on holidays.
Are YOU interested in participating?
- Age 18 or older receiving Alta California Regional Center services
- Deaf, Hard of Hearing, DeafBlind
- ASL (American Sign Language) user or relies on ASL communication.
Our request for participants to:
- use restroom independently
- refrain from harming themselves and others.
If you answer “yes” to above, you will need to:
1. Schedule a tour of our program
2. Get referral from Alta California Regional Center
3. Physical Examination from your Primary Doctor.
4. Complete and submit all admission paperwork.
After the completed steps have been approved: Transportation will be arranged by Alta California Regional Center.